Join Our Firm
Position: Category Designer in Residence
This role is an opportunity to be immersed in the discipline of Category Design and will enable you to create an impact in a number of ways. You will be groomed to become a leader in the discipline of Category Design. You'll work alongside founders of the craft with access to industry leading resources developed and refined over the past 12+ years. You will be a people leader who enjoys deeply partnering with the founders and executive teams of some of the fastest growing start-ups in the world. You will be a creative leader, excited to bridge the gap between strategic consulting and executing fresh ideas in the creation of new categories. You will be a business leader, able to partner with our leadership to help build both the firm and discipline of Category Design. And you will be an innovative leader with the vision and application to re-define how some of the most advanced, future-shaping companies approach their business in order to accelerate growth.
Here's what you should know if you want to be a Category Designer in Residence at Play Bigger:
On any given day, you might...
- Immerse yourself in a new industry or emerging technology to better understand its potential, and future states it could bring about.
- Develop an emotion grabbing point-of-view for a company or product that outlines a major problem in the world and its solution as vision for the future.
- Help set-up and drive a workshop that addresses any of the six pillars of our category design process, from problem definition and point-of-view development to category blueprint and lightning strike mobilization.
- Partner with graphic designers to create the verbal, visual and even experiential expression of a new category-size solution.
- Meet with prospective clients to talk about their journey and readiness for the adoption of Category Design.
- Collaborate hand-in-hand with client specialists to rethink how a company executes a procession of strike-ops across a recurring go-to-market strategy.
- Work with the leadership at Play Bigger on how to navigate and grow the business.
- Advance new frameworks and intellectual property to unlock client challenges and further Play Bigger’s reputation at the forefront of Category Design.
- Help source, train and nurture future Category Designers and execution partners.
The ideal person is...
- An experienced strategist with a strong understanding of category design principles and a track record of breakthrough product or company strategy and positioning work, particularly in emerging and new technology spaces.
- A business operator, able to generate and apply recommendations across an organization and its product offerings.
- Consulting mindset, able to structure and lead a project, partnering with C-suite clients, and to present recommendations in a compelling fashion.
- Innovative thinker who can create new technical models, ecosystem frameworks and intellectual property.
- Strong writer with the ability to capture complex ideas and synthesize large amounts of information into powerful narratives.
- Intersectional thinker who can approach a problem through multiple lenses, from business and culture to technology and behavioral sciences.
- Highly collaborative team leader able to navigate complex executive level relationships and challenge preexisting biases in order to achieve the best outcomes.
- Interest and experience working with new economy and fast-growing technology companies, moving from strategy to go-to-market execution in a digital-first world.
- Eager to collaborate, learn and grow with Play Bigger’s proven techniques and capabilities.
You bring to the table...
- 10+ years experience driving strategy and transformation initiatives working collaboratively with business leaders, preferably in emerging and new technology spaces.
- Tangible work examples of strategic and executional work transforming brands, companies or creating new market opportunities for fast growing businesses.
- A passion and commitment to learning and growing the discipline of category design.
Finally, we believe passion combined with a proven ability to learn and grow can often overcome a lack of experience. If your background doesn’t quite match all the above, but you believe your will and desire to become a Category Designer more than offset the difference, we want to hear from you.